Skip links and keyboard navigation

Which insurance product is right for you?

Share |

Accident insurance policy

If you have a business in Queensland and employ workers, you are required to insure them against workplace accidents with WorkCover Queensland (s48, Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003).

You cannot pay any of your own claim costs in Queensland.

There is no threshold that you must reach before insuring in Queensland. If anyone you employ meets the definition of a worker, then you must insure them within five days of commencing employment. You can take out your policy prior to employing workers provided you have all the necessary information.

Employers who are found to be uninsured may be subject to penalties for unpaid premium and any compensation costs.

WorkCover's accident insurance policy insures you against all statutory and damages claim costs in the event of a work-related injury to your workers. There are no limits or caps to the number of claims that can be made against your policy.

Apply online for an accident insurance policy
Who should I cover?
Cover provided by your policy
Your rights and responsibilities as an insured employer

View our video - Your accident insurance policy explained in 90 seconds

Self insurance

Employers who meet certain criteria can apply to the Workers’ Compensation Regulator to insure their own Queensland workers. These employers manage and pay their own statutory and common law claims. They are usually referred to as self-insurers. For further information about self-insurance licences, visit the Workers' Compensation Regulator website.

Household worker insurance

A household worker is a worker you employ in and about, or in connection with, a private dwelling or the grounds of the dwelling. If you employ a household worker, you are required to take out a Household workers' insurance policy to cover you against the costs of compensating a household worker who may be injured while working for you.

Our Household workers' insurance policy is $50 for a two year term. This is a set time frame where all policies have a common end date irrespective of when the policy is commenced. The premium is not pro-rated, however a reduction of the rate to $25 is applied if the time remaining to the common end date is less than 12 months.

Apply online for a Household worker insurance policy

More information about Household worker insurance

Workplace personal injury insurance

Workplace personal injury insurance is an optional insurance and covers anyone deemed an eligible person under Section 23 of the Act. An eligible person, is an individual who, other than as a worker, receives remuneration or other benefit for performing work, or providing services as a contractor, a self employed individual, a director of a company, a partner of a partnership, a trustee or a trust. These persons can insure themselves by taking out this type of policy regardless of age or health.

Apply online for a Workplace personal injury insurance policy

More information about Workplace personal injury insurance

Last updated
21 August 2014

Renew your accident insurance policy

Declare your wages information and pay your premium quickly and easily online. Make sure to declare your wages by 31 August.