Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland Government site header

Who is covered?

Share |

Your WorkCover accident insurance policy covers any workers you employ.

From 1 July 2013, a worker is ‘a person who works under a contract and, in relation to the work, is an employee for the purpose of assessment for PAYG withholding under the Taxation Administration Act 1953 (Cwlth), schedule 1, part 2-5’ (s11 of the Act). The definition includes ‘persons who are workers’ under Schedule Two, Part One but excludes ‘persons who are not workers’ under Schedule Two, Part Two. Under section 11 of the Act, a worker must be an individual. Therefore, if you engage a corporation they will not be a worker as only an individual can be a worker. The same applies if you have entered into an agreement with a partnership or trust for the services of the worker. Sole traders are however engaged as individuals and may be a worker.

Employing workers and who you should insure

Directors, partners or sole traders

Directors, partners or the sole trader of your own business are not covered. It’s not mandatory to have cover, but workers’ compensation insurance is available for you.

Paying other businesses for services

If you are paying other businesses for their services, their workers are not covered under your policy—they are required to have their own policy.

Please call us on 1300 362 128 if you have questions about workers or your policy’s coverage.

Last updated
09 April 2014

Safe Work Month 2014

What’s your most important reason for work health and safety? Get involved with scheduled events during the month of October to help raise awareness on the importance of making Queensland workplaces safer.